Overnight Program Rules of Conduct
To ensure a safe and pleasant visit, all participants in the overnight
stay aboard the historic World War II submarine USS Pampanito are
expected to abide by the rules which follow. The group leader should read
the rules to the entire group at one time.
- No running or "horse play" aboard the vessel. Discipline is the
responsibility of the group leader. Adequate adult supervision is to be
provided by the visiting organization at all times. After dark, no crew
members are to leave the submarine or walk topside unless accompanied by
an adult. Adults attending the overnight stay with the scouts are expected
to remain with the group at all times. The main gate to the pier will remain
shut and locked until morning. Adults who leave the premises will not be
permitted to return. There must be at least one (1) adult for every six
(6) group members under age 18, and a minimum of seven (7) adults with
the group (some groups, such as Cub Scouts, have stricter adult/child ratios--in
such cases, please adhere to your organization's rules).
- Restricted areas are well marked--do not attempt to enter these areas
without permission of staff. This includes the conning tower. While topside,
never leave the marked walkway. Do not climb on any deck guns or on the
periscopes and lookout platforms.
- Do not turn valves, switches, handles or otherwise attempt to operate
any equipment aboard the submarine. Everything on board is considered a
historic artifact and must be treated with the proper respect. Remember,
Pampanito is a National Historic Landmark.
- None of the following are permitted:
* No consumption of alcoholic beverages during the visit (either on or
* No smoking.
* No gum chewing.
* No portable CD players, handheld electronics/computers, games, etc.
- No cooking is allowed in on board the submarine. However, visitors
are permitted to bring "snack-type" foods. All food is to be consumed at
the tables in the crew's mess, wardroom, or, during movies, in the forward
torpedo room. No food is permitted in the berthing areas. In
order to take full advantage of the time available on the boat, make sure
your group eats prior to arrival.
- Sleep only in these designated areas:
* After Battery Compartment (bunks - 36)
* Forward Battery Compartment (bunks - 11)
At least three adults must sleep in the after battery compartment
to supervise group members sleeping there.
Do not wear shoes while in bunks. Do not use any other compartment for
sleeping unless permission has been given to do so. When not in bunks,
shoes must be worn for walking around in the submarine.
- Adults will be responsible for overseeing operation of the DVD/Monitor
for viewing movies.
- The group shall clean all areas occupied on board the vessel before
departing--a list of cleaning responsibilities will be provided. Departure
time is 0900 sharp.
- Supervisors are to make sure all required paperwork has been completed.
- For your safety, the group is expected to follow all directions,
and any special instructions, issued by members of the staff.
- Uniforms: If your group has an official uniform, please wear the
uniform top during the program. Jeans are recommended.
- Follow all rules -- we would like to invite you back for a future